Faculty Fellows Program Description—Office of First-Year Experience
The Office of First-Year Experience (FYE) is seeking two Faculty Fellows to serve two-year terms. The Faculty Fellows will work with FYE staff and faculty partners on the expansion of programs designed to enhance student learning, engagement, and retention and persistence. The Faculty Fellow Program has three key goals:
- To support Faculty Fellows in their professional growth;
- Contribute to the learning, knowledge, and expertise about first-year student experiences at KU through the design of programs and campus outreach;
- Serve as an ambassador for first-year programs to students, faculty, and staff.
FYE Faculty Fellows serve two-year terms, which will begin in August 2018. Responsibilities are based on the Faculty Fellow’s background, interests, and experiences, as well as FYE’s specific needs. Faculty Fellows will each work in one of the following areas:
- Providing leadership for the expansion of the First-Year Seminar program. This activity includes working with the director on outreach activities, the development of workshops to support course design and faculty teaching, and developing plans to sustain the assessment of student learning in First-Year Seminars and communicate this work to program stakeholders. First-Year Seminars are taught in departments across the university and satisfy the critical thinking goal and learning outcome of the KU Core.
- Providing leadership for the expansion of learning communities. This activity includes working with the First-Year Experience staff and campus stakeholders on the expansion of learning communities. KU currently has two types of learning communities: one model consists of linked courses that allow first-year students to explore interesting questions and issues across disciplines; the second model links a seminar course to a specific KU housing environment. Both models provide opportunities for students to practice teamwork and problem solving.
Both Faculty Fellow positions work collaboratively with First-Year Experience staff and faculty affiliated with these programs.
Expectations and Compensation
The Faculty Fellow time commitment will vary somewhat during a given semester, with some weeks requiring more time and some needing less. In general, the Faculty Fellows can expect to commit an average of eight hours per month. As compensation, Faculty Fellows will receive a $7,500 stipend paid in the summer. In addition to the stipend there is also a $1,500 yearly travel budget to attend a first-year experience conference or related conference.
All tenured or tenure-track faculty at the University of Kansas are eligible to apply. Interested applicants should submit (electronically) a current curriculum vitae and cover letter describing your interest in the position and the qualifications you would bring to it. Please indicate if you have a particular preference for working with First-Year Seminars or learning communities.
Direct application materials and any questions to:
Sarah Crawford-Parker, Assistant Vice Provost and Director of the Office of First-Year Experience, email@example.com
Application materials are due by April 23, 2018
The FYE faculty fellow term will begin in August 2018