Discover. Engage. Belong.
Frequently Asked Questions

Orientation FAQs

How does the COVID-19 coronavirus affect Orientation?

In light of the recent spread of COVID-19, we have decided to move all summer Orientation sessions to an online-only format. We are in the process of adjusting programming and events, and will email all Orientation participants as updates become available.

You may also visit for more universitywide communications and updates related to COVID-19.

Will I still enroll in classes at my virtual Orientation session?

Yes! You’ll video conference privately with your advisor. Together, you’ll discuss possible degree paths, build your first-semester schedule, and enroll in courses.

What if I’m not able to attend an online session?

We appreciate that some students may not have access to a computer or internet connection. If you’re unsure that you’ll be able to attend your online Orientation session, contact the Office of First-Year Experience at or 785-864-4270.

Will I get a refund for my enrollment deposit?

No. Your enrollment deposit is not an Orientation admission fee. Rather, it helps to confirm your spot at KU, covers the cost of your KU card, and goes toward campus events and other first-year programming. Learn more at

My parent/guest registered for Orientation. Will they receive a refund?

Yes. We have issued refunds for all the guest fees that had been previously paid. 

How do I change my Orientation date?

You can log back into the registration portal to view other available dates and make changes to your reservation. Date changes must be made by 5 p.m. CT one week prior to the session you were originally scheduled to attend.

How do I view Orientation dates?

To view Orientation dates, please log into the Orientation registration portal using your KU online ID (ex: a123b456) and password. Once you login, you will be able to view a range of Orientation dates that are specific to your major.  The majority of Orientation sessions for Fall admitted students occur in June and July.

Do I have to attend early Orientation sessions to ensure class availability?

No matter when you attend Orientation, you will be able to make a schedule full of classes that work toward your degree. Academic departments manage capacities and know that new students are enrolling at Orientation. Nonetheless, we encourage you to be flexible during the enrollment process.

Do I need to stay for the entire session?

We ask that you hold 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM CDT on your Orientation day, but you will only be actively participating for 2-3 hours. You will receive your specific schedule and Zoom links one day prior.

Who is considered a guest at Orientation?

While we do not have day-of guest programming for our online Orientations, anyone interesting in supporting their new Jayhawk (parents, siblings, friends, etc.) may be registered as a guest through the registration portal. For more information about the guest Orientation experience, including weekly panels and webinars, please refer to our Parents & Guests page.

What if I want to change my major?

You will need to submit your major change by filling out an online form through the Office of Admissions. Please allow 2-3 business days for your student account to be updated.

Orientation dates are specific to your major. If you would like to view the available dates for your new major, once it has been updated, you can login through the registration portal. We recommend you attend a day specific to your major, but if you are already registered, you are able to keep your current date.

How do I request accommodations for Orientation?

Orientation accommodations requests may be submitted in the registration portal for both students and guests. Please submit all requests at least two weeks in advance of your Orientation date.

If you would like to request accommodations for the academic year, please contact Student Access Services in the Academic Achievement & Access Center.

What if I plan to participate in Panhellenic sorority recruitment?

KU Panhellenic Association formal recruitment will be held virtually in August and registration is open through July 31. Prospective members must plan to attend KU Orientation in June or July to participate in recruitment. Please continue to check back on the KU Panhellenic Association website for any recruitment updates related to COVID-19.

What if I plan to participate in Interfraternity Council recruitment?

A decision on Interfraternity Council formal recruitment is forthcoming. For updates related to formal recruitment and the impacts of COVID-19, please refer to the Interfraternity Council website

How do I submit my immunization records?

You will need to submit your immunization history to Watkins Health Services. The preferred method is through the secure patient portal, accessible 72 hours after enrollment. If you are unable to submit your records online, copies may be sent by mail or fax, or emailed to

How and when will students receive their KU ID card?

Visit the KU ID card website for details related to student ID cards, photo submission, and how to pick up your card.

Orienatation FAQs Contact
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today