Discover. Engage. Belong.


Transferring previous credits

If you have earned college credit or dual credit in high school, request that your official transcripts be sent to the KU Office of Admissions before your orientation session. Failure to supply information on college credit will delay your advising and enrollment and could result in inappropriate course selection. If there isn’t time to send a transcript before orientation, bring an official transcript or a grade report with you.

Important notes about transfer credits

It is important that all transcripts from other colleges or universities are sent to KU as soon as grades have been posted. Having up-to-date information is important for your advising appointments so you and your advisor know what requirements you have fulfilled. It is also important because your enrollment level depends on the number of credit hours completed. You should speak with an advisor before you take classes at other schools so you can be sure the credits will transfer appropriately to KU. If a course does not transfer and you believe it should, there is a petition process.

KU uses a Transfer Equivalency System called CredTran, which is provided as a guide to how classes at your current or former school are transferred to KU. However, note that

• A course appearing on the list does not guarantee that the course will transfer in your individual case.

• After you are accepted to KU we will officially evaluate your transcripts if you have college work. You will receive an Advising Report at orientation. This report lists courses transferred to KU.

• If the course or school you are looking for is not on the list, we will evaluate those courses after you have been admitted to KU. Keep in mind that KU does not accept any courses that are remedial, vocational, or technical in nature.

• Just because the course may transfer to KU does not mean that it will fulfill a requirement.

Also, the fact that a class from your current or former school is listed on CredTran does not guarantee that the school currently offers the course or plans to offer the course in the future. CredTran is subject to frequent revision. We add schools to the list on a regular basis, particularly schools that send a large number of transfer students to KU.

Sending your transcript

Have your official college transcript sent to:

KU Visitor Center
1502 Iowa St.
Lawrence, Kansas 66045-7576 

If you have additional questions please contact the KU Office of Admissions

Phone 785-864-3911  
Fax 785-864-5006

Countdown to
Upcoming Events
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times
Follow Us


KU Today