COVID-19 Seminars Update
For Fall 2020, First-Year Seminars and UNIV 101 will be offered in a range of formats—from all in-person to all online. All students should be prepared to meet remotely for some class sessions. Each seminar's official format will be announced after August 3 with the larger schedule adjustment.
In-person classes remain our preference, and the benefits of being together in a classroom space are clear. However, if you find yourself in more online classes this fall, consider the special benefits of online classes in these unprecedented times:
- If your First-Year Seminar or UNIV 101 is all or partly online, you will meet live all together via Zoom, which means:
- You’ll be able to see everyone’s faces and reactions
- You’ll be able to break into small groups and work together in ways that are impossible this fall in a classroom
- If your First-Year Seminar or UNIV 101 is all or partly online, you may be able to have special opportunities that would be less likely in person, such as:
- Meeting with exciting guest speakers from all over the world.
- Touring far-away sites digitally. For instance, ANTH 177 students will tour a “lost city” in Columbia this fall!
- Gaining access to special performances, creating a shared experience across sections. For instance, all UNIV 101 students will view a performance by Amirah Sackett.
Whatever your format, First-Year Seminars and UNIV 101 remain small classes of 19 or fewer students. You will get to know each other and your instructor. Together, you’ll find your place at KU!