Apply to be a Peer Mentor
FYE is now accepting applications for Peer Mentors for its Learning Communities and First-Year Seminar programs. Due to the broad range in course offerings and diversity in student academic interests, applicants from all disciplines are encouraged to apply.
Peer Mentors are integral to the success of FYE programs. Faculty instructors will define the exact roles of each Peer Mentor, but duties typically involve attending class, holding office hours, participating in and/or leading discussions, and attending co-curricular programming. Peer mentors support instructors in teaching and facilitating lessons and interacting with students both inside and outside of the classroom. Their primary responsibilities include serving as positive role models by providing the perspective of a successful student in relation to course topics and activities.
- Treat all students with dignity and respect
- Serve as a role model and resource for new students
- Assist students’ transition to college life, KU, and the wider Lawrence community
- Treat all student information, in particular grades, confidential
- Attend class/classes peer mentorship is/are assigned to regularly and complete assigned course readings
- Meet with faculty instructor weekly
- Execute assigned duties in a professional manner
- Attend weekly Peer Mentor meetings
- Attend Peer Mentor 2-Day Training, Thursday, August 11th – Friday, August 12th
- Read the KU Common Book & participate in related events
- Staff KU Welcome Event on Thursday, August 18th
- Assist with KU Common Book Discussion Group on Sunday, August 21st
- Assist with FYE programming as needed